A FORTY-year-old man has been refused bail after he appeared in court charged in connection with an aggravated burglary in County Limerick last week.
Christopher Stokes of St Anthonyâ€™s Park, Knocknaheeny in Cork city is accused of entering Sunville House, Pallasgreen shortly before 10pm on April 16, last.
It is alleged the defendant was one of four men who entered the house armed with a sawn-off shotgun, a baseball bat and a sledge hammer. Two members of the family who live at the house were allegedly tied up during the incident.
Detective Garda Tony Grey told Limerick District Court he arrested Stokes at 11.30am today. In addition to the burglary charge , he faces six counts of false imprisonment.
The defendant - an unemployed married father-of-three - was granted free legal aid and solicitor Ted McCarthy was assigned to represent him.
Sgt Donal Cronin said gardai were opposing a bail application due to the serious nature of the alleged offences. Det Garda Grey said he also believed Stokes would not stand trial and that he would interfere with witnesses if released.
Mr McCarthy told the court his client was willing to abide by any bail conditions the court saw fit to impose.
Judge Eamon Oâ€™Brien refused bail and he remanded Stokes in custody until May, 1 next. Another man who was also arrested in connection with the same incident has been released without charge.
Gardai say a file is to be sent to the Director of Public Prosections in relation to the incident.