Limerick man charged over €1.5m cash seizure

David Hurley

Reporter:

David Hurley

Limerick Courthouse
A MAN has appeared in court charged in connection with the seizure of more than a million euro in cash on the outskirts of the city last year.

A MAN has appeared in court charged in connection with the seizure of more than a million euro in cash on the outskirts of the city last year.

John Duffy, aged 54, of Shanabooly Road, Ballynanty is accused of possession of €1,494,430 at Portcrusha, Montpellier on December 14, 2013 - knowing it was the proceeds of crime..

The cash was discovered when gardai a searched a rural property following a lengthy surveillance operation,

Some of the money was found buried in the ground while some was found in a container, which was located on the farmlands.

Garda Dave Boland told LImerick District Court he arrested the defendant in the Dock Road area at 9.35 this morning and that he made no reply when he was formally charged at 10.10am.

Mr Duffy faces a single charge under the provisions of the Criminal Justice (Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing) Act 2010.

Inspector Helen Costello said the DPP has directed trial on indictment and she requested an adjournment of the case to facilitate the preparation of the book of evidence.

There was no objection to bail and Mr Duffy was remanded on bail until January 14, 2015.