Residents evacuated from Limerick apartment block

David Hurley

Reporter:

David Hurley

editorial image
DOZENS of people had to be evacuated from a five-story apartment block in the city centre last night after a fire broke out in the stairwell of the building.

DOZENS of people had to be evacuated from a five-story apartment block in the city centre last night after a fire broke out in the stairwell of the building.

The alarm was raised at Mahon House, Upper William Street just before 9.30pm and three units of the Limerick City Fire and Rescue Service and one from Shannon attended the scene for over an hour.

Because of the location of the fire, all of the residents of the apartment block were evacuated as a precaution.

“The stuff that went on fire actually fell down onto each floor so we had small pockets of fire on each floor which led to smoke being throughout the whole building,” station officer Pat Kiely told Live 95FM.

Residents were allowed back into their homes shortly after 10.30pm.