Driver is sent for trial over serious crash

Gerard Fitzgibbon

Reporter:

Gerard Fitzgibbon

A MAN has been sent forward for trial charged with dangerous driving causing serious bodily harm in a crash near Newcastle West last year.

A MAN has been sent forward for trial charged with dangerous driving causing serious bodily harm in a crash near Newcastle West last year.

Tomasz Swieczkowski, of Cluain Arra, Newcastle West is also charged with drink driving contrary to Section 49 of the Road Traffic Act following the crash at Ballyfrawley, Newcastle West on November 25, 2011.

Speaking in court in Newcastle West last Friday, State solicitor Aidan Judge said that a book of evidence in the case has been completed and formally served in the accused.

Mr Judge said that the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) has consented to the dangerous driving charge being sent forward for trial at Limerick Circuit Court.

Mr Judge said that the State would accept Mr Swieczkowski, who was previously remanded on bail, receiving a new bail bond without any special conditions.

Judge Mary Larkin issued Mr Swieczkowski, who was present in court, with the alibi warning, meaning that he must give the State 14 days’ notice if he intends to produce any alibi witnesses in his defence.

Mr Swieczkowski said that he understood the warning.

Mr Judge also requested that the other “summary matters” the accused is charged with be adjourned to Newcastle West District Court in March 2013, at which point they will be “more than likely added to the indictment” at the Circuit Court.

Solicitor Enda O’Connor, defending, said that the accused consented to the application. Legal aid was granted by the judge for one junior counsel.

The offence of drink driving was adjourned to appear before the court again on March 8, while the more serious charge was referred to the present sittings of Limerick Circuit Court.