A JURY at the Central Criminal Court has heard allegations that two cousins who are accused of murdering Des Kelly and Breda Waters last year changed their clothes and left the murder weapon at the home of Southill man Anthony Kelly minutes after the double murder.
Opening the trial of Thomas Stewart and Patrick O’Brien, Brendan Grehan SC, prosecuting, said CCTV footage would show the accused men entering Anthony Kelly’s home after leaving the house in O’Malley Park where Mr Kelly, 23, and Ms Waters, 28, were shot on January 9, 2011.
“At 9.01am they are caught walking up to 121 O’Malley Park - a house owned by Anthony Kelly,” he said adding that the footage will show the men climbing over a side wall and entering the house.
“The prosecution case is that they changed their clothing in that house and left the gun used in the killing in that house,” he said adding that the men then left the house by the back door.
The jury of six men and six women was told that although Anthony Kelly’s home is equipped with its own CCTV system “nothing was garnered” from it by gardai.
The court was told that Anthony Kelly’s home was searched as part of the garda investigation of the double murders and the jurors were shown a number of photographs taken by gardai inside and outside the house.
Aerial photographs of the property were also produced as exhibits by the prosecution.
While Anthony Kelly attended the Courts of Criminal Justice complex in Dublin this week, it is understood he is not listed as a witness in the trial, which is expected to last up to a month.
Thomas Stewart, aged 29, of The Cedars, Briarfield, Castletroy and Patrick O’Brien, aged 33, of Glanntan, Golf Links Road, Castletroy have pleaded not guilty to murdering Des Kelly and Breda Waters at Des Kelly’s home at 531 O’Malley Park on January 9, 2011.