Quadruple murder accused’s case is adjourned

Gerard Fitzgibbon

Reporter:

Gerard Fitzgibbon

A MAN charged with the murders of two women and two children in Newcastle West last year has been further remanded in custody, pending directions from the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP).

A MAN charged with the murders of two women and two children in Newcastle West last year has been further remanded in custody, pending directions from the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP).

John Geary, 31, of Meadowcourt, Newcastle West, appeared before the local court again last Thursday charged with the murders of Sarah Hines, 25, her children Reece, 3, and Amy, five months, and 20-year-old Alicia Brough at a home at Hazelgrove, Newcastle West last November 15.

Speaking in court Insp Eamon O’Neill, of Newcastle West Garda Station, said that a file on the case has now been presented to the DPP, but no directions have yet been received. He said that the State were requesting that Mr Geary be further remanded in custody until April 12.

Solicitor Ted McCarthy, acting as agent for Mr Geary’s solicitor, John Herbert, said that he had no objection to the State’s application.

Insp O’Neill previously told Judge Mary O’Halloran that the Garda investigation into the quadruple murder had involved three gardai working on the case full time, 400 statements being taken, and 850 lines of enquiry being pursued.

Judge Mary O’Halloran consented to the State’s application and adjourned the case until April 12. The court heard that the DPP will present directions in the case on that date.