AN inquest has heard that a Polish man died eight days after he was assaulted during a fracas in the city centre.
Mateusz Sabik, 21, died at the Mid Western Regional Hospital in Dooradoyle on October 8, 2007 more than a week after he was assaulted at Little Ellen Street during a disturbance involving up to a dozen Polish nationals.
Coroner, Dr Timothy Casey was told that Mr Sabik, who was living at Alphonsus Street, was hospitalised following the incident but that he was discharged the following day after his condition improved.
However a number of days later he collapsed and suffered a seizure and was placed on a life support machine, which was switched off at 7.30pm on October 8, 2008.
Sgt Ted Riordan, Henry Street, told the inquest that a full garda investigation was conducted following the death of Mr Sabik and that one person had been successfully prosecuted in the courts.
“The criminal aspect of the case has been finalised,” he said.
Deputy State Pathologist, Dr Michael Curtis, who conducted a post-mortem examination on the body of Mr Sabik, told the inquest he “most probably” had suffered a subarachnoid haemorrhage which, he said is usually associated with a sudden blow to the side of the neck.
However, Dr Curtis did not give any evidence which directly linked the bleeding to the assault.
The jury of three men and three woman returned a verdict in accordance with the medical evidence.