Newcastle West man to face trial on arson charges

Gerard Fitzgibbon

Reporter:

Gerard Fitzgibbon

Newcastle West Courthouse
A MAN is to face trial charged with the alleged arson of three buildings in the centre of Newcastle West last year.

A MAN is to face trial charged with the alleged arson of three buildings in the centre of Newcastle West last year.

Cory Lane, aged 19, of Maple Grove, Templeglantine, could face a maximum of life in prison after he was charged with the arson of three buildings on Maiden Street, Newcastle West on February 27, 2012.

A book of evidence in the case was served on Lane at a sitting of Newcastle West District Court.

State solicitor Aidan Judge said that the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) consented to the case against Lane being sent forward for trial at the next sittings of Limerick Circuit Court.

Arson, an offence contrary to the Criminal Damage Act, carries a maximum penalty of life in jail on conviction at trial.

Mr Judge said that the State had no objection to Lane being further remanded on bail until his trial date, provided that he “does not make contact with any civilian witnesses named in the book of evidence”.

Solicitor John Lynch, defending, said that the accused consented to the State’s application, and the terms of his bail.

Mr Lynch requested that legal aid be granted to the accused for junior counsel to represent him at trial.

Judge Aeneas McCarthy granted Lane’s legal aid application, and issued the accused with the alibi warning, which means that Lane cannot produce any alibi witnesses in his defence without giving the State 14 days’ notice.

The case was adjourned and sent forward for trial.