Decision to scrap County Limerick motorway is welcomed

Gerard Fitzgibbon

Reporter:

Gerard Fitzgibbon

LIMERICK County Council have confirmed, as expected, that a controversial plan to build a mutli-million euro motorway from Adare to Abbeyfeale has been scrapped due to a lack of funding.

LIMERICK County Council have confirmed, as expected, that a controversial plan to build a mutli-million euro motorway from Adare to Abbeyfeale has been scrapped due to a lack of funding.

The decision to axe the plans means that a planning embargo which has affected much of West Limerick for almost three years has now been lifted with immediate effect.

The plans, which would have cost as much as €450 million based on cost estimates taken in 2008, had been a source of significant opposition from local residents, lobby groups and county councillors.

Speaking at a meeting of Limerick County Council in Dooradoyle this Monday, director of transport services, Paul Crowe, confirmed that following a severe reduction in the National Roads Authority (NRA) capital spending budget for 2011, the decision was taken to scrap the motorway plan and lift the current planning freeze.

Mr Crowe said that the NRA have made it clear that no money was likely to made available for the project “for the foreseeable future”.

The plans had been at the route selection stage, and a final route was due to be chosen early this year before the project’s funding was cut.

Ger Kearney of the N21 Road Action Association, which represents residents opposed to the plans, said that “people power” played a role in the motorway’s downfall.

“This decision was taken because of lack of funding, but I would prefer to think that it was because of people power.

“To all our committee members I would like to thank them for giving their time and effort in