Inquest hears Limerickman died after ‘drugs cocktail’

Anne Sheridan

Reporter:

Anne Sheridan

The late Hugh Kavanagh, was described by friends as 'bright, friendly, funny, enthusiastic and creative'
A YOUNG man was deemed to have died from medical misadventure after consuming a cocktail of drugs at a party in Limerick city this summer.

A YOUNG man was deemed to have died from medical misadventure after consuming a cocktail of drugs at a party in Limerick city this summer.

Limerick Coroner’s Court heard that Hugh Kavanagh, aged 19, from Shannonmore Park, Clareview in Limerick, passed away on May 5 this year.

Limerick Coroner’s Court heard that Arthur Kavanagh, the father of the deceased, was informed at 8.40am on that date that his son was pronounced dead at the University Hospital Limerick after being brought there by ambulance.

Gardai were called to a flat in Steamboat Quay in the early hours of that Saturday morning when he became unresponsive. At the time gardai launched a full investigation in relation to who was at the party and what type of substances were being taken. Those substances were removed from the scene.

Coroner Dr Anthony Casey said while his heart, brain and liver were all operating as normal, a blood and urine sample was sent for toxicology to the State laboratory.

The results showed that he had consumed alpha-methyltryptamine, a hallucinogenic drug used in the 1960s, and delta-9-THC-carboxylic acid.

Dr Casey said the medical evidence showed that his death was due to acute cardiac failure due to the drugs in his system and severe pulmonary oedema.

The jury brought a verdict of medical misadventure.

A past pupil of Villiers Secondary School, he is survived by his father Arthur, sister Hollie, and pre-deceased by his mother Karen. Sympathies were expressed to the family on behalf of the gardai, the jury and the coroner.