A COUNTY Limerick man has been refused bail after he appeared in court charged in connection with a shooting incident in Newcastle West last month.
Thomas McCarthy, aged 32, with addresses at Castleview Estate, Newcastle West and in the UK, is accused of possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life and two charges of assault causing harm.
The offences are alleged to have happened at Castleview Estate on August 13, last.
At Kilmallock Court this afternoon, Detective Garda Jason Mitchell said Mr McCarthy replied “all right” when he was formally charged earlier today.
Superintendent Tom O’Connor asked that the defendant be remanded in custody and he said there was an objection to a bail application which was made by solicitor John Devane.
Outlining the alleged facts, Det Garda Mitchell said at 3.27pm on August 13 in Castleview Estate a lone gunman fired two shots from a shotgun hitting two adults.
“Children aged five and seven were standing beside them when they were shot. One of the injured parties suffered a collapsed lung and pellets were removed from their liver. The second person was shot in the torso. She was seven weeks pregnant at the time,” he said adding that he believed the defendant would interfere with witnesses if released.
He further alleged that Mr Mccarthy is involved in an ongoing feud with the alleged injured parties and will continue to commit serious crimes, if granted bail.
Evidence was given that in the days after the shooting Mr McCarthy stayed in two hotels in Tipperary under false names and travelled on a ferry to Pembroke.
Mr Devane put it to Detective Garda Mitchell that there is no feud and that nobody had been shot or injured.
“This is the first shooting but it is not the first incident,” said Det Garda Mitchell.
Mr Devane said his client had returned to Newcastle West, would give his passport to gardai and was willing to obey any bail conditions imposed by the court.
Mr McCarthy took the stand and agreed that he would stay in Ireland. “No problem. I’ve nothing to hide,” he said.
The defendant denied being involved in any feud saying “I didn’t commit the crime, I puts nobody in fear”.
In his evidence, he also claimed the gardai “are stitching me up”.
However, Judge Alan Mitchell refused bail and Mr McCarthy was remanded in custody until next Tuesday,when he will appear before Limerick Court via video link.
The judge ordered that the names of the alleged victims not be published at this stage.