Girl ‘terrified’ after picture was taken by Romanian man

Anne Sheridan

Reporter:

Anne Sheridan

A special sitting of Limerick District Court heard that footage of a violent attack in the city centre makes for 'shocking viewing'
A ROMANIAN man who took a photograph of a young girl who was terrified by him has been sentenced to 10 weeks in prison.

A ROMANIAN man who took a photograph of a young girl who was terrified by him has been sentenced to 10 weeks in prison.

Dorel Barbu, 38, of no fixed abode, pleaded guilty at Limerick District Court to engaging in threatening or abusive behaviour to provoke a breach of the peace at Catherine Street in Limerick city on October 25. His phone has been seized by the State and forensic officers will be examining all its contents. Judge Eugene O’Kelly said additional charges may arise in the case.

The court heard a child in a panicked state approached a garda claiming she had been approached by a man who took her photograph on his phone.

Sergeant Donal Cronin said the 15-year-old girl “was in absolute fear, she was terrorised” by Barbu who had behaved in a threatening manner and also became aggressive, and refused to provide his name when approached by the garda.

Solicitor Turlough Herbert said his client was “extremely embarrassed” by the incident which he described as “a misunderstanding” with “no sinister intent”. Judge O’Kelly also sentenced Barbu to three months in prison for the theft of a watch from Guiney’s on William Street on September 27. He was also sentenced to two months in prison for failing to provide his name and address.