Man pleads guilty over theft of cash and rifle from Limerick home

David Hurley

Reporter:

David Hurley

Email:

david.hurley@limerickleader.ie

Man pleads guilty over theft of cash and rifle from Limerick home

Tyrone O’Connor pleaded guilty when arraigned at Limerick Circuit Court

A MAN has pleaded guilty to charges relating to a break-in at a house in County Limerick during which a significant quantity of cash and a rifle were taken.

When formally arraigned at Limerick Circuit Court, Tyrone O’Connor, aged 28, of St Brendan’s Drive, Charleville pleaded guilty to a charge of burglary relating to an incident at Lackelly, Knocklong on March 31, last.

The defendant was charged a number of weeks after the burglary and a file prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions who directed that the matter proceed on indictment at the circuit court.

During an earlier court hearing, Limerick District Court was told the defendant and a co-accused took around €7,000 from a cash box which was in a safe at the house.

A legally-held rifle, which was subsequently recovered by investigating gardai, was also stolen from the house.

After Lily Buckley BL, prosecuting, confirmed that Mr O’Connor’s plea was acceptable to the State she requested an early sentencing date.

Brian McInerney BL, representing Mr O’Connor, said while his client was previously granted bail subject to conditions he has not taken up bail and remains in custody.

Noting this, Judge Tom O’Donnell remanded the defendant in continuing custody ahead of a sentencing hearing on November 27, next when he will hear details relating to the offence.

The maximum sentence for burglary offences prosecuted on indictment is 14 years’ imprisonment.