Court hears that Wayne Dundon ordered Collins’ murder

Gareth Collins pictured a number of years ago

Gareth Collins pictured a number of years ago

  • by David Hurley at the Criminal Courts of Justice, Dublin

THE Special Criminal Court has heard that convicted criminal Wayne Dundon offered a former associate €20,000 and drugs to drive the getaway car on the day Roy Collins was murdered five years ago.

Gareth Collins, 31, told the non-jury court that he spoke to Dundon on a mobile phone a number of weeks before Roy Collins was shot on April 9, 2009 and that he spoke to him again on the morning of the killing.

He said Dundon was in prison at the time of both phone calls and that on both occasions his co-accused, Nathan Killeen, had called to his home at Crecora Avenue and had handed him a mobile phone.

Dundon, aged 36, of Lenihan Avenue, Prospect and Killeen, aged 25, of Hyde Road, Prospect deny killing Mr Collins, 35, at the Coin Castle Amusments Arcade, Roxboro.

In his evidence, this Monday, Mr Collins, whose sister April is the former partner of Ger Dundon, said when he spoke to Wayne Dundon on the phone he knew he wasn’t being asked to “just drop somebody around the corner.”

He told Mr O’Higgins he knew Steve Collins would be shot and that he told both Dundon and Killeen that he didn’t want to get involved.

“He wanted me to drive up to the road to the Steering Wheel (pub), he (Nathan Killeen) was going to go in to whack Steve Collins and I’d drop him home,” he said.

Mr Collins, who is currently serving a seven and a half year prison sentence said Wayne Dundon “snapped” when he refused to drive the car and verbally abused and threatened him.

“He cursed at me and called me a f**** idiot,” he said that Dundon also threatened him over what he claimed was a drugs debt from a number of years earlier.

The Court has heard that Gareth Collins first met Dundon in 2004 when the pair shared a cell at Cork Prison.

Mr Collins, who has a number of serious convictions was serving a five year sentence at the time while Dundon was on remand for making threats against members of the Collins family.

He was subsequently convicted in relation to that offence and received a seven year prison sentence.

Mr Collins told Michael O’Higgins SC, prosecuting, that both he and Dundon had illicit mobile phones in prison at the time and that he once saw Dundon getting emotional following a phone call with his wife Anne.

“He was snappy and upset, he was crying on the phone,” said Mr Collins, who told the court that Dundon then told him that his wife had asked him not to let the Collins family get away with it as they fad ruined his (Wayne’s) family”.

Being cross-examined by Remy Farrell SC, representing Wayne Dundon, Mr Collins denied he had told lies to both gardai and the court.

The trial continues before Ms Justice Iseult O’Malley, Judge Margaret Heneghan and judge Ann Ryan.


Back to the top of the page