A LIMERICK businessman says he is “heartbroken” after a fire gutted his garage at the Ballysimon Road just weeks before Christmas.
Lithuanian national Stanislavis Bereznovskis was telephoned at his home in Corbally in the middle of the night by the fire brigade to tell him his crash repairs business had been completely destroyed by a fire. Structural damage was also caused to the building.
Four workers employed by Stanislavis also face an uncertain future following the blaze, which gardai are not treating as suspicious following a forensic examination.
“My heart broke in two when I arrived. I am just heartbroken. This is something I had worked for four years. I have a lot of customers whose cars have been completely destroyed. My customers and I, we just don’t know what to do next,” he told the Limerick Leader, “I am still in shock myself.”
Stanislavis moved to Limerick eight years ago, and always worked with cars. He set up his own business four years ago.
As for the staff working for him, he said: “I don’t know what I can do for them at this stage. They have been working such a long time with me.”
Emergency services were called to the fire which broke out at the repair shop in the Moniclino Industrial Estate at 2am.
Six units from Limerick City, Rathkeale, Cappamore and Shannon Fire Services attended the scene, and the blaze was brought under control by 5.20am.
The scene was sealed off for a time, and officers from the Limerick Fire and Rescue Service remained on site for several hours after to dampen it down.