Smoke alarms save lives

David Hurley

Reporter:

David Hurley

HOMEOWNERS across the city are being encouraged to install smoke detectors in their homes to ensure they are alerted quickly in the event of a fire breaking out.

HOMEOWNERS across the city are being encouraged to install smoke detectors in their homes to ensure they are alerted quickly in the event of a fire breaking out.

As part of Fire Safety Week, members of the Limerick city Fire and Rescue Service are trying to create a greater awareness of the dangers associated with fire.

Several events are being held and members of the fire service will also be visiting a number of schools in the city.

There have already been a number of fatal house fires in Limerick this year and, on average, more than 40 people die every year across the country.

Paul Knapp of the Limerick city Fire and Rescue service says every home should have a working smoke alarm.

“As a general guide there should be a minimum of one smoke alarm installed for each floor in the house. For additional fire protection you should consider installing smoke detectors in the kitchen and living room,” he said adding that smoke alarms have saved numerous lives.

“It’s a life saving piece of kit and we can’t stress enough the importance of having a smoke detector or a fire alarm that is in your premises, that is working and that is regularly checked,” he said.

In addition to ensuring there is a working fire alarm in their homes, Paul Knapp says every family should have a fire escape plan.

“Often, when a fire breaks out, confusion and errors follow. If you have a well-practised fire evacuation drill you will be better able to deal with an emergency situation. A well rehearsed fire escape drill can make all the difference,” he told the Limerick Leader.

As most house fires occur at night, homeowners should also close internal doors before going to bed and all electrical appliances should also be plugged out.

Anyone who lives in a two-story house is also advised to ensure there is a working phone upstairs so the alarm can be raised.