LIMERICK’S local authority has opened a book of condolence in memory of those slain in the shocking terror attacks in Tunisia last week.
Limerick City and County Council opened the book this Wednesday in memory of the 38 people, including three Irish citizens, who were killed in the attack.
The book of condolence was officially opened today by Mayor of Limerick City and County, Cllr Liam Galvin, who said the online facility would afford “Limerick people at home and abroad the opportunity to send messages of support to those caught up in this terrible tragedy.
“On behalf of the Council and the people of Limerick, I wish to extend my deepest sympathies and condolences to the families and friends of the Irish citizens who were killed. Our thoughts and prayers are with them at this difficult time,” he added.
The Irish Travel Agents Association this week said it was “continuing to monitor” the situation in Tunisia after the massacre at the beach resort of Sousse on Friday by a gunman purportedly acting on behalf of Islamic State.
Pat Dawson, CEO of the ITAA, said: “We continue to monitor the situation in Tunisia in close partnership with the Department of Foreign Affairs. ITAA member agents are striving to keep customers informed and facilitate anyone who needs to change their travel plans.
“For anyone with concerns about family or friends currently in Tunisia, the Department of Foreign Affairs can be reached on 01-4180200.”
Tony Brazil of Limerick Travel on Bedford Row, said the agency hadn’t received any cancellations for Tunisia in the aftermath of the incident, but explained that the market for Tunisian charters represented a very small percentage of the Irish market.
“Tunisia as a destination would account for way less than one percent of the total holidaymakers going out in a single charter every Friday - about five or six thousand in all from the Irish market,” said Mr Brazil.
“You are talking about a million plus sun holiday makers (in total) so that is obviously just one side of it. Earlier in the year, when the museum incident happened in Tunisia, we had some people who had booked to go there and they decided to cancel and go to different destinations. But Tunisia wasn’t a destination that we were pushing from the point of view of advising people,” he added.
The travel agent said what happened was “very tragic and sad” and would devastate the tourist industry in Tunisia.
Mr Brazil offered advice for those going to Greece, currently experiencing extreme financial turbulence.
“There is a lot more of a market into Greece - there are five charters into the country. The message we are giving to people since last week is that, when you go to Greece, don’t be dependant on credit cards or cheque books,” he said.
Members of the public can sign the online book at http://www.limerick.ie/council/tunisia-attack-book-condolence.