FORMER Limerick Roses from the past 50 years are to be invited to this year’s Rose selection event in a bid to mark the Gathering.
The Limerick Rose Centre are inviting former Roses - plus escorts - to the Castletroy Park event next month, which will attempt to select a Rose to represent the region at the Rose of Tralee for the first time since 2007.
“We hope that many Roses and escorts from previous years can attend and it will give a great sense of occasion to the event to have the ambassadors who have represented Limerick over the years together in one location,” explained Denis Griffin, Limerick Rose Centre coordinator.
Roses and escorts who attended the Rose of Tralee over the past 50 years are now being asked to contact the centre if they - and a guest - are available to attend the March 9 event.
Applications are still open to entrants interested in becoming the Limerick Rose, and potentially the first to reach the final stages of the competition since 2007.
Last year’s Rose, Suzanne O’Brien from Adare, joined Mayor of Limerick, Cllr Gerry McLoughlin, this week to launch the appeal for former Roses to gather at the event to find her successor.
Despite failing to make it through the regional finals to Tralee, Ms O’Brien, who works in Limerick’s Live 95FM, said the experience had been “unforgettable”.
“The whole experience has been unforgettable - despite not being on the stage in the Dome,” she said recently.
“The opportunities that have arisen, the people I have met, the causes I have helped and the friends I have made, have made this the most rewarding experience you can imagine,” she added.
This year’s selection process will raise funds for Pieta House, the Limerick Rose Centre announced recently.
Applications are open to entrants aged from 18-27 years. For more information call 087-1474100 or email .