Rose selection: 35 hopefuls in line to represent Limerick in Tralee

Alan Owens

Reporter:

Alan Owens

Michelle Quirke, Shauna Doran, Muireann O'Connor, Christina Stackpool, Cliodhna de Paor at the Limerick Rose selection 2015 tour to Thomond Park last week. The event takes place over two nights this weekend.
A growing level of interest in this year’s Limerick Rose selection has seen 35 entrants put their hands up for the chance to go to the Rose of Tralee.

A growing level of interest in this year’s Limerick Rose selection has seen 35 entrants put their hands up for the chance to go to the Rose of Tralee.

Limerick’s unlucky streak in actually getting a Rose to the international event in Tralee has stretched to some eight years, with Melanie Carroll the last Rose to make it in 2007.

Meelick woman Dawn Ryan, a care worker with Enable Ireland in Mungret, was Limerick’s Rose last year, and although she didn’t make it through the Regional finals in Portlaoise last June, she has said that her year as the county representative had been “unforgettable”.

“The people I have met, the causes I have helped and the friends I have made, have made this the most rewarding experience you can imagine and I would encourage any girl to get involved,” said Dawn, who travelled to Belarus with Adi Roches’s Chernobyl Children’s Trust in her capacity as Rose.

Limerick’s Rose for 2015 has approximately a one in four chance of being selected, according to Limerick Rose centre co-ordinator Denis Griffin. 23 Roses were selected to go through to the Dome out of 61 Roses at the Regional finals last year, drawn from all parts of the Ireland and the world. Kerry, Dublin and Cork are all afforded automatic entry to the festival.

Mr Griffin said last year that it was “the fairest system that can be developed”.

Regardless of Limerick’s recent lack of representation at an event it won twice - in 1984 and 1994 - interest for this year’s selection has proved unparalleled, with 35 entrants, up from 22 last year.

The selection will take place over two nights this Friday and Saturday at the Radisson Blu Hotel. Mr Griffin said the move to two nights was a “very exciting” one.

“It shows that the interest continues to grow throughout the county and that the girls who entered in previous years continue to speak about the positive experiences which they encountered,” he said.

The shows start at 7.30pm and tickets are available from the Radisson Blu Hotel.